Tuesday, August 12, 2008

birtha stewart

so i'm packing my bag for the hospital and i realize that, as usual, i am overpacking. i always overpack. i have folded, refolded, packed and unpacked this suitcase at least three times. somethings gotta give because, though i think i cannot possibly birth a baby without every single thing in my suitcase, i am sure that i can. i mean, moms in other parts of the world birth a baby in a field, strap the baby in a mai tai and get on with their chores. but here i am, packing, among other questionable items, a stamp pad for footprints. honestly? i mean, his feet are not going to grow in three days, right? and do i really need to make keepsake mementos hours after i have pushed a baby out of my body? the martha stewart in me does. of course, if i had made the stamping paper myself from one of the lovely trees in our back yard, sprinkled in some jasmine or other herbs from my porch garden, that would make it all the more special. see, there i go! needless to say, the stamp pad might have to come out along with two of the three relaxation cd's, one of the two bottles of massage oil, one of the cameras, and a few other extra articles of clothing. i will, however, still be taking my large nursing pillow, the yoga ball and all the hard candy i can suck on. but maybe, this will make a bit more room. i mean, we'll be bringing a baby home and he's got to fit in the car when we leave. makes me wonder how i went to africa for two weeks with only a carry-on.

No comments: