Sunday, July 27, 2008

unfading beauty

"your beauty should not come from outward adornment,
such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry
and fine clothes. instead, it should be that of your
inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet
spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. for
this is the way the holy women of the past who put
their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.
you are as Sarah's daughters if you do what is right
and do not give way to fear." ~1 Peter 3:3-6

why do i not remember this scripture when i feel insecure? it is truth, spoken right into my spirit. choosing to believe it, though, proves much more difficult. i can get so wrapped up in my appearance. my flaws and imperfections, really. it consumes my thoughts. it has for years. but i'm much more aware of it now that i'm trying to raise a little girl into a confident, secure and healthy woman. but how can i do that if i don't feel that way myself? and even if i did, how can i protect her from the social standard? i long for the day that i don't confuse my identity with what i look like or an insensitive word spoken over me.
i always feel confident when i read God's truth about me, when i remind myself that i am His creation and He loves me to the universe and back. but i never go to that first. i always overanalyze or feed into my emotions, rather than immediately open His word and remind myself of my true identity.
oh, to be free!!!

Lord, protect my daughter and i from the strongholds of idols and insecurity. let me meditate on your word, Lord and share your truth with her, even at her young age. put in us the ability to separate lies from truth. and give me the freedom to release the fasle beliefs that i've grown so accustomed to.

"i will walk about in freedom, for i have sought out your precepts." ~psalm 119:45

No comments: